WELCOME
to
A Rita Marie Shabby Cottage Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

OMG, where has the time gone ? ?

It's hard for me to believe it has been as long as it has since I have posted on my blog. I intended to post daily, but time has a way of slipping by. I honestly don't know how those who make and sell their pretty things also have time to write on their blog, on Facebook, on others' pages, and also Tweet. I know I don't, but I am going to make a resolution to try to come in daily and post something new and if not daily, I will try weekly. That's not a very firm resolution, but I have to start somewhere.

If you did stop in today, please join me as a follower so I will know you are here. I will in turn go to your blog and sign in to follow you.

The chifferobe below has to be the most favorite of all the pieces I have redone. I wish I had taken a photo of the 'before' and not just the 'after'.

When I found this, of course it was not something you would want to display as it was. I cleaned it up, sanded it lightly, primed it and painted a soft cottage white. There are lots of different colors of white, and I actually do not remember the name of this white.

After selecting two wallpapers that, of course, I had on hand ( I LOVE wallpaper), I wallpapered a small pink and white stripe on the inside back even behind the drawers. I then wallpapered the inside of the doors with a small floral print. The drawers were lined with wallpaper and then each was papered on the front, one with the floral, one with the stripe. I then painted fluffy cottage roses and green foliage at the top center. On the front, which is not shown here, I kept it elegantly simple with one rose with foliage on the top inside corners of the doors. The original knobs were not with it, so I selected a white porcelain with a tiny pink rose bouquet in the center. I then placed painted white clothes rod back on the right side. That completed a beautiful transformation from truly shabby to truly very cottage chic.

The word chifferobe is a southern word for a cabinet that was originally used for storing long guns, but as you can see they became the 'closet' for homes back then. Closets were not found that often as the owner was taxed by the number of closets in the home and the number of doors. Have you ever seen a home with a low window going to the porch? The taxation of doors was the reason for this. That's my contribution to your trivial information of today.

I hope you enjoyed seeing this beautiful chifferobe I happily transformed with paint, wallpaper and the heartfelt thrill of seeing "how it would turn out".

Have a very blessed day !

Rita Marie







1 comment:

Kath' said...

That is 2DIE4.. It's absolutly Gorgeous... Just dropping by to see what cha' are doing.
Have a nice weekend.. Kath'